Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Just A Thought November 7, 2008

"To feel sorry for the needy is not the mark of a Christian- to help them is."

Last night I drove past a woman who was holding a sign that simply stated, "Homeless. Please Help." I felt bad for her, and wished that there was something I could do. Still I kept driving. At that particular moment, my mind was on all that needed to be done. But later as I sat down to pray, I saw that woman's face. I was convicted because I had not done all that I could do. I had no money to give her, but I had resources. There is a coat right now in my car that I do not wear because it's not "cute." Noticing that it was 44 degrees and she was coatless, that would have helped. I work for a prominent social service agency, so I could have referred her to a shelter. Yet, I didn't. Why not? I was too busy, and felt like I didn't have an immediate fix. Often times we neglect to help people for that reason. But know this: helping someone does not always require you to solve their problem completely. Sometimes it's just a matter of pointing them in the right direction. I get that now.

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other."

No comments:

Post a Comment