Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Just A Thought December 4, 2008

"Problems seldom exist on the level at which they are expressed."

I have a quick temper. Often times I become upset with the way that people talk to me. The funny thing is, most times when I get down to the heart of the matter, the person was not even addressing me in the manner I suspected. (I said most times........it DOES happen though) What I have found is that often times we allow our personal feelings to transcend our professional attitudes and responsibilities. When this happens, it all just comes tumbling down. Think back to the last argument/disagreement you had. What was it REALLY about? I find that more often than not (for me), the disagreement is never about the issue at the surface. Most of us are walking around upset, about what he said before we left the house, about how she "always trippin'," about how the kids don't ever do what we ask them to do, about the 50 million things we need to do but can't because we have to get to work and so forth. What I am saying is this: the moment you feel an argument brewing, take a moment to ask yourself what it's really about. Give the other individual the benefit of the doubt, maybe they're just having a bad day. The chances of you being wrong are slim.......and even then it takes the bigger person to just walk away.

"Look to their positive intent, especially when they appear to have none."

No comments:

Post a Comment