Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Just A Thought November 19, 2008

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught."

I have a tendency to think that if the world were just like I like it, it would be a perfect world. The problem with this philosophy is, EVERYBODY else feels the same exact way. Last night I was taught a very humbling lesson about the difference between what I see and how things are. I am that choir member that forever has a suggestion for the director. You know the one, burning cds left and right with songs that I like (never mind the fact that our choir may not be able vocally to handle theses songs), always suggesting that we try "something new." Last night the director obliged. He said "Not only are we going to learn a couple of the songs you selected, you're going to teach them." Now my crazy self was elated.............at first. It sounded easy. SOUNDED. Fast forward to choir rehearsal. There were people there that had not been to rehearsal in MONTHS. Instantly I was nervous. I was also very much unprepared. Being that these were songs I listen to all the time......I had not taken the time to learn the various parts. I took for granted that all of that would just flow together. So what did I learn? A few things............1. To appreciate and RESPECT the work my choir director performs 2. To appreciate and respect the decisions he makes for our choir as a whole 3. Things are not always as simple as they appear to be, and 4. To be careful to not let my suggestions become criticisms unless I am prepared to fix that which I see as wrong. Solomon told us that pride comes before the fall, and last night I fell HARD.

"The wisest mind has something yet to learn."

No comments:

Post a Comment