Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Just A Thought November 30, 2008

"Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch."

I was in church this morning praying a prayer of forgiveness and thanks when I began to think about some of the temptations I am presently battling. While I stood there asking the Lord for both forgiveness and mercy, it occurred to me that I had not once requested deliverance. The more I began to think about it, I decided I didn't truly want deliverance. Being delivered would mean that I would no longer be tempted by these things, and I am not really sure that I am ready to give these desires up. Why do I choose to continue to struggle with things that are so obviously beneath a child of the King?? Well for me, that answer is easy. I am not yet ready to be all the things God has told me I am. There is a small part of me that feels that submitting my will is too much. I want what I want. How do I know that what He has for me will be sufficient? I wonder how many other people fight this same losing battle..........refusing to believe that the promises God has made are to you as much as anyone else. Temptation is not something that we must always feel compelled to avoid, for avoidance only postpones the inevitable. Temptation is to be resisted, and after the first time, it seems to get easier and easier, if you want it to.

"Temptations are as thick as the leaves of the forest, and no one can be out of the reach of temptation unless he is dead. The great thing is to make people intelligent enough and strong enough, not to keep away from temptation, but to resist it."

No comments:

Post a Comment