Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Just A Thought October 24, 2008

" Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them, since you cannot even make yourself as you wish to be."

Have you ever noticed that when you get to the root of disdain for someone, the very quality you cannot stand in them is one you posess yourself? I can't stand cynical, sarcastic, flip at the mouth individuals. Those who know me say I have a lot of nerve, because I am THE MOST cynical, sarcastic, flip at the mouth individual this side of the Mason-Dixon line. It is for this reason I have started to take a second look at people that get under my skin. What is it about them that upsets me? Once I figure that out, I examine myself. I welcome what I find as opportunity to change. Maybe if I change the way I talk to people, they will respond differently. Maybe if I smile when I walk into a room, the scowls on the people's faces will turn into smiles. Change is an action that begins first and foremost with us. The problem is that most times we expect it to begin in others. Its up to us to be the change we want to see.

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment