Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Just A Thought December 7, 2008

"Most of us spend six days of each week sowing wild oats, then we go to church on Sunday and pray for a crop failure."

Friday night some friends of mine invited me out to enjoy some live music. This is not unusual, as I have recently grown fond of watching live musicians perform. I got a call informing me that there would be some people from my church there and suddenly I was uncomfortable. What I couldn't figure out is why. I have never been one to hide anything about me, but for some reason the idea of seeing the people I worship with in a "club" atmosphere was unsettling. This has really been eating at me for all the wrong reasons. I have heard my Pastor say so many times that we have to be careful in our walk to not be a hindrance to anyone else. I guess I get confused at that part. I don't ever want anyone to see me at church and be confused. You know how it is, folk act like saved folks can't party. Well that ain't me, but I do feel forced to choose. I suppose that I agree to a certain extent that people in positions of leadership ought to be an example. What I have trouble understanding is what KIND of example. I do not feel as though anyone should be watching me as an example of how to live. I am not ashamed to tell the world about God and his goodness, but I'll be the first to tell you that I am a long way from righteous. Is that shirking my Christian responsibility? Am I just looking for an easy way out? Some would say yes since:

"Religion is a way of walking, not a way of talking."

No comments:

Post a Comment