Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Just A Thought November 28, 2008

"Prayer is not intended to change God's purpose, nor is it to move Him to form fresh purposes. God has decreed that certain events shall come to pass through the means He has appointed for their accomplishment. "

As my uncle blessed the food yesterday, I couldn't help but be impressed by the sincerity and brevity of his prayer. One of the things that drives me crazy, is when people make prayer an ALL DAY ACTIVITY. I am a classic "the Lord knows my heart" individual. I know I should be shamed, but the truth sets us free right?? I used to hate praying. It was awkward and uncomfortable, and incredibly boring. But now that God is my homie (LOL), I have no problem taking a little time out to touch base with Him. The mistake we so often make is utilizing our prayer time to make one request after another. Why must we only be serious about consulting God when we want something? Just like you pick up the phone to tell your Mom you love her "just because." You should take time out to just thank Him, not for what He has done, is doing, or will do in your life, but because of "who He is." Real prayer is not an attempt to manipulate God into giving you what you want, but an opportunity to reverence Him for allowing you to be.

"Real prayer is communion with God, so that there will be common thoughts between His mind and ours. What is needed is for Him to fill our hearts with His thoughts, and then His desires will become our desires flowing back to Him. "

No comments:

Post a Comment