Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Just A Thought April 16, 2009

"It may well be that our means are fairly limited and our possibilities restricted when it comes to applying pressure on our government. But is this a reason to do nothing? Despair is nor an answer. Neither is resignation. Resignation only leads to indifference, which is not merely a sin but a punishment."

Last night I had to appear in court to take care of a ticket I received a few months ago. I was cited for failing to maintain proper registration on my car, in addition to failing to maintain insurance. When I was pulled over I provided the police officer with my license and proof of insurance. It is my belief that he ticketed me just so that I would have to show up for court in order to have the ticket dismissed. I have no proof of this however. Anyway, when I appeared before the judge, he asked me why I received the insurance ticket, and I politely replied that I did not know. He went on to dismiss the charge and I plead guilty to the other charge. It was at this time that he fined me $125 for the infraction. I immediately objected for the ticket specified that the fine including court costs was only $65. I wanted to know where the other $60 was coming from. The judge proceeded to explain to me that because I "decided to show up" he could fine me whatever he wanted to fine me. I explained that this did not seem right, but went on to pay the fine before I left so I would not have to visit this city again. On the way home I became angry. I was grateful that I had the means to resolve this matter but angry that this type of treatment is levied daily on people who do not. I was angered by the way he could so callously tell me that if I can't afford to renew my registration on time, then I shouldn't drive. How easy it is for us to turn our nose up at people whose situations we do not understand, but I implore you to be careful. We are living in a day and age where biblical prophecy is being fulfilled. The last are most certainly becoming the first. I am watching people that have lived most of their lives in a recession slowly but surely prosper as people who have clawed their way to the top are falling left and right from their high horses. As angry as I am, I pray for that judge. I ask that God forgives him, for surely he must not know what he does.

"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe."




No comments:

Post a Comment