Sunday, December 9, 2012

Divorce...............

"If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed out?"

I was watching the episode of Friends in which the gang playfully teases Ross for being the man with three failed marriages. Although I laughed, I couldn't help but feel like I was laughing at myself. While I have not been married three times, I have been married twice and had a couple of situations that might as well have been marriages. Looking back, I wish that I could have made them work, but I feel no remorse for leaving once I realized they wouldn't. To me it's like, why would I take a test in pencil and fail to erase my mistakes before handing it in? If my pencil has an eraser, why not use it. Don't get me wrong, marriage SHOULD be forever. But when you know good and full well it's not, thank God for options. At the end of the allotted time for the test, the least you can do is hand in a neat test.

"For some reason, we see divorce as a signal of failure, despite the fact that each of us has a right, and an obligation, to rectify any other mistake we make in life."

2 comments: